Interview #2

     On October 16th, 2025, I had the privilege of interviewing a High School Librarian. This school is located in Horry County and it houses around 1,600 students in grades 9-12. I asked the following questions...

1. Describe how you encourage learners to read and write for a variety of purposes?

2. How do you assist learners through inquiry based research?

3. What strategies do you use to motivate struggling readers?

4. How do you address different learning styles and interests?

5. Describe how you collaborate with classroom teachers to effectiviely deliver services to learners.

6. Describe how you consult and collaborate with parents, administrators, and other stakeholders to ensure quality services.

        I chose to ask slightly different questions for this interview than the first one because it is a grade level I am not used to at all. High School honestly scares me because I am so used to teaching the elementary students. 

        While interviewing the high school librarian I figured the results would be very different from what I received at the Middle School but it really wasn't. In order to encourage learners to read and write the library provides a "vast and varied" collection of books. The library is also used for more than just book checkout. There is a welcoming environment where students can work on a puzzle, sit and read, study, or work, and collaborate with others. The librarian also encourages students to use her as a resource for reading and writing for both pleasure and for class projects. When asked how she assists learners through inquiry based research she stated that she discusses, explores, and practices identifying media bias and fake news. She also discusses the advantages and disadvantages of search engines and databases. She also mentioned that she models questioning, narrowing topics, outlining plans, and locating, selecting, evaluating, and citing sources. She also mentioned how she works with students individually to find, assess, organize, and synthesize sources for their work.

        One of the more useful questions I felt that was asked and answered was about struggling readers. As a future elementary school librarian I know this information will be extremely useful. Some of the strategies she mentioned using were to purchase and promote print and online books for all ages and abilities, reorganize the collection for browsing and ease of use, hosting events such as library orientations, book talks, book samplings, and contests, and to help them find high interest books at their level. One of her suggestions that I will keep in mind when I am in the school library is to get to know the students and their interests by walking with them around the library and pulling out different books and discussing with them what might interest them. I also love the idea of showing students how they can self-assess whether a book is at their level. By providing a various collection of materials in the library and levels she is able to address the different learning styles and interests. She also mentioned that she can vary instruction by changing her approach and teaching a balance of teacher-led instruction and group and individual work.

        My final two questions addressed how the school librarian collaborates with teachers, administrators, parents, and other stakeholders. She mentioned that she currently conducts orienations will all English classrooms in 9th-12th grade to ensure they know the classroom policies and procedures. She also collaborates with teachers when they need help with research skills and resources. She does this by talking with the teacher to get the topic and assignment from the teacher and then will teach a class about how to use online databases, citations, and works cited pages. She mentioned she had goals to provide teachers with curriculum support by attending department meetings and determining the specific curriculum instruction and research needs and to also develop a digital literacy program. She also currently hosts contests, book clubs, battle of the books, and public librarian visits but in the future would love to take students on university library field trips, create a library website, and put the school library on social media. 

        While I do not plan to teach at a high school, I still feel like I can implement some of these strategies into my own library. I will have my own website and the library will be present on social media. I also love the idea of getting to know students' interests by walking through the library and discussing various books with students. I will also plan to meet with teachers during the Learning Communities to determine the standards and curriculum they will be working on and how I will be able to assist them in the teaching of the curriculum.




        




        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview #3

Interview #4